Zaprice (court, manor)
Steinbüchel

16th century

In 1306 a knight Bertold of Zaprice is mentioned - Perchtold der Appechzer and in 1359 court is explicitly mentioned - hof ze Apecz vor der stat ze Stayn. It was already in 1352 owned by citizens. The court was shared between resident of Kamnik Nikolaj Šmid with his wife Neža and Friderik Tesak and later sources mention some more citizens as owners of the court. Around 1550 owner of the estate at the time Jurij noble Lamberg has supposedly torn down the medieval court and built a new mansion in its place and gave it instead of old, Slovene name, a new, German name of Steinbüchel. Citizens of Kamnik were rebeling againt the building of a new mansion because they were afraid that Turks could destroy the town if they were to gain control of the castle. Their rebelion did not fall on fertile ground so they built their own tower, present Rutar's mansion on nearby Gallenberg - in the corner of city walls on Žale.
In 1624 manor zaprice was pawned to Hans Taller who later got the manor as his first property and later through his sister Marija Magdalena née Hohenwart to her son Janez Ludvik noble Hohenwart who in 1689 became a citizen of Carniola. In 1750, again through the marriage, Jožef Gvido baron Gallenfels became the owner of the dominion and his son and successor sold the manor after his father's death in 1757 to Anton Medard noble Wiederkehr. Several owners followed: in 1794 Franc Leopold noble Wiederkehr, in 1822 his son Leopold noble Wiederkehr, in 1830 Franc Pirh, in 1871 industrialist Fidelis Trpinc from Ljubljana, after him in 1875 his widow Jožefina, in 1878 Jožef Schneid noble Treunfeld and after him his heirs. Last private owners were heirs of knight Schneide - Treunfelda and finally until 1945 Rechbach family. After nationalization when the manor was at first used as apartment building it was in 1961 assigned to a purpose of museum of Kamnik which in the following years explored the building and renovated it. Museum is an organisational unit of Kulturni center Kamnik (Center of culture Kamnik) and is an official user of castle building.
(quoted)

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v osrednji Sloveniji - I. Gorenjska (Območje Kamnika in Kamniške Bistrice)", Viharnik, Ljubljana, 1997, ISBN 961-6057-12-X
Contact details:
MEDOBČINSKI MUZEJ KAMNIK
Muzejska pot 3, 1241 Kamnik
Slovenia

Internet address:
Web page: www.muzej-kamnik-on.net
e-mail: info@muzej-kamnik-on.net
Director: mag. Zora Torkar
e-mail: zora.torkar@guest.arnes.si

MUSEUM AND MANAGEMENT
Phone: +386 (0)1/8317 647 and +386 (0)1/8317 662
Fax: +386 (0)1/8397 447
Web links:
Medobčinski muzej Kamnik
Zaprice castle (burger.si)
Shows and entertainment:
For events see http://www.muzej-kamnik-on.net/koledarslo.htm, weddings also... For opening hours see http://www.muzej-kamnik-on.net/slo/info01.htm.
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 13.391' E 14° 36.335'

back

Manor is accessible by a path leading from Kamnik passing the manor and on over the hill; entrance to a courtyard is through northern auxiliary wing
Manor is surrounded by a low, three-sided early-Renaissance defence wall
Defence wall is emphasized by a younger octagonal turrets on both corners facing towards the town
Several reliefs are on display in vaulted hall of northern wing (everyone of them is shown on lower photos)
Tombstone of Janez Jakob Wiederhekr von Wiedersbach, Kamnik 1702
Craftsman house mark, Kamnik, 1549
Boundary stone of Kamnik's town region, Kamnik, 18th century
Relief with St.Florian (coat-of-arms with some master's mark is visible and above some construction with something that looks like key-shaped arrow-loops)
Relief with angel carrying coat-of-arms, Kamnik, around 1490
Stone urn, Mengeš, second half of 1st century
Sepulchral stele for Hilari, Zide near Trojane, second half of 2nd century or 3rd century
Tombstone of Dindi family, Kamnik, second half of 1st century
Lion, part of monumental sepulchral architecture, Zide near Trojane, 2nd or 3rd century
?
Part of construction writings to Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, second part of year 168AD
Griffon, part of sepulchral architecture, Trojane, second half of 2nd century
Sarcophagus, Trojane, 3rd century
Near the hall a cistern is located with old stone ring
Northern wing
Manor, standing in the middle of triangular courtyard is two-storeyed, without basement, 5 x 7 axial building, covered with quad-pitched roof
Three Gothic windows are still preserved in south-eastern wall and above them an old Gotic-Renaissance balcony with iron, newer fence, resting on four composed stone consoles
Eno of Gothic windows from tufa with beveled edges
Gothic window can also be seen on south-western wall
Stone entrance portal is of Classical period, equiped with two shallow pillasters at the sides and with slightly beveled, profiled forehead, decorated with two pairs of empirical garlands
South turret
Late-Gothic armpit portal in western wing
Another portal
Various findings (arrow heads, buckles, cannon ball...)
Large late-Gothic armpit window is located in ground-floor entrance hall on the left
A place on the left in entrance hall where a museum collection is located is defined by an imposing stone triumphal arch which is partially covered by later Baroque barrel vault with spandrels
Interestingly designed chair in museum collection
Lord's room
Some paintings in the first floor are from 16th century; one of them with Baroque motifs was in the meantime uncovered and restored
Baroque mirror staircase
Open museum - granaries of Tuhinj
Column, located at the path to the manor
J. V. Valvasor, Zaprice (Ground plan of defence wall does not match present day; it is actually triangular and qot square as depicted by the author)
Renaissance shooting loop in the attic of outbuilding which is not currently accessible to visitors;; photo M. Kumar, archive of museum in Kamnik


back