Studenice (fortification)
Studenitz

15th century

The castle or fortification was probably not built until the era of Turkish intrusions. It is mentioned as Studenitz castrum and later in 1542 as a tower. In 1681 the fortification was still preserved which is evident from Vischer's copper engraving whilst in 1830 Kaiser already paited it as ruins. It was probably abandoned after the fire on 7th March 1788, which reduced to ashes whole village and the fortification, therefore only 6 years after the monastery has been dismissed at the time of Joseph II.
On Vischer's depiction the fortification is presented as serried multi-storey composition with a leaning tower which is one storey higher than the rest of the fortification. All of the buildings are surrounded by a wooden hoarding and on two corners reinforced by two defence nests.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - Med Prekmurjem in porečjem Dravinje", Založba Park, Ljubljana, 1991, ISBN /
Contact details:
/
Web links:
/
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 18.006' E 15° 36.897'

back

Studenice fortification; view from south
View from west
Fortification surrounding walls are relatively thin
Eastern wall
Forcibly punched entrance into the fortification of remains of the portal?
Semi-circular defence tower was integrated into fortification defence walls
Shooting-loop in the defence tower
Middle loop-hole in a tower, probably shooting-loop
Inside of the tower
Irregular construction of the tower wall
Interior of the fortification; shelf on the wall is visible on the right
Portal into the northern building
Outer wall of northern building bordering to another inner part of fortification; inner part of fortification was probably not storeyed because the windows in this wall of the building would not be sensible
Slit with wooden lintel (west in the same wall)
Inside of northern rectangular building
Presence of bricks evidents reconstruction works in Renaissance era
Dominican monastery Studenice has its origin in Romanesque era
Studenice monastery with Studenice castle in the background on the left; secondarily collored lithography from Old Kaiser's Suite, around 1830; graphic museum Rogaška Slatina


back