Above the market town on its northwest side a castle complex of Strmol is located which was for the first time mentioned
in 1436 when counts of Celje conferred a tower near Rogatec to Jakob of Strmol from Cerklje na Gorenjskem. Tower (mentioned
in 1458 as den turn) is the origin of the mansion and is still preserved in nucleus of present day castle. As the
owner Jakob was succeeded by Henrik who was then succeeded by Hans. Provincial prince enfeoffed the castle to Ahac
Hertenfelder. The estate was partially owned by Celje and partially by Rogatec (Krka). In 1479 provincial prince
conferred the tower of Rogatec (den turn Rohatsch) to Andrej of Strmol, his brother Henrik and their sisters
Marjeta and Magdalena. Later owners of the manor were frequently changing: in 1516 Krištof Tumperger was attested and
in 1568 Hans Erazem Tumperger sold his provincial princes' lease, noblemen's residence Strmol, tower with real estate -
Edlmanssytz Stermoll zunagst Rohitsch, (ein) Thurn to Hans of Auersperg - Turjak. In 1571 Elizabeta Alapi is the owner
and in 1573 Jožef of Dornberk, known for his collaboration with stifling peasant revolt and also for pillaging and ravaging
he allowed himself at the occasion. In 16th century another tower or wing was added to the original tower and the whole
bulding was surrounded by curtain walls and defensive turrets. By reconstruction the building was completed by a shape
of letter T in its ground plan and has lost its original purpose as a fortress. Dornberk's were owners until 1626 when
they were succeeded by baron Jurij Reising of Hartenštajn. Following Reisings the owner in 1730 was Marija Izabela countess
Petazzi and then a few owners were rapidly changed, in 1739 Karl Jožef count Petazzi, in 1804 Jožef baron noble Winterhofen,
in 1807 Attems family, followed by prince Alfred noble Windischgrätz. Windischgrätz family were owners before the last war.
Also a chapel dedicated to St.Vincent Ferrer was located in the castle and it was mentioned for the first time in 1682.
At the end of 17th century defence turrets were torn down and defence walls was replaced by a low masoned fence. The height
of original tower was adjusted to the rest of the building and a smaller two storeyed building with inner courtyard was
erected next to it. A court of law was stationed in this building in 19th and at the beginning of 20th century which is
proven by jail cells in the cellar. They are now a wine cellar. In the vicinity the castle also an english garden was
designed. Park is not preserved anymore and the mansion was used for apartments after WW II.
In 2003 castle complex of Strmol manor was revived. After eight years of hard and professional work at renovating
Renaissance/Baroque era manor with a help of Občina Rogatec (Municipality of Rogatec), Ministry of culture of Republic
of Slovenia and two private investors the bulding heritage proclaimed as cultural monument was given a new meaning.
Manor is not interesting just from a point of building heritage but also an exhibition of contemporary art collection
»Strmol« is on display, a chapel with PRESERVED Baroque frescos, knights hall, Baroque hall, degustation room, wine
cellar, black kitchen...
The manor also offer multipurpose festival hall suitable for organization of business meetings, professional
meetings, seminars, lectures, presentations for about 80 people. The hall is technically equiped (LCD projector,
notebook computer, flip-chart, screen, sound, video, TV).
Also restaurant services by a company Marka d.o.o. are ensured in a range of castle restaurant and black kitchen.
The end of the meeting is variegated by invitation to a former castle jail nowadays wine cellar, where ye can taste
wines of top quality from a company GIC gradnje d.o.o. Possibility of lodging in hotels of a nearby spa Rogaška Slatina
only seven kilometers from Rogatec.