Škrljevo (court)
Grailach

12th century

On the slopes of Ravniški hrib (hill) above the village with the same name near Šentrupert pri Mirni in Lower Carniola, manor Škrljevo is located, feudal post in Lower Carniola of church of Krka (until 1622). It is first mentioned around 1130 as an estate predium Chrilowe which was given by his predessesors to noblemen, among which the king especially mentions counts Viljem and his son with the same name. The estate was later transferred to possession of bishops of Krka through the widow of count Viljem, Hema Breže-Selška and is also mentioned in otherwise already not genuine document from 1044 as Chrilouua. It seems that at first the name was also used to refer to the church of St.Rupert in present day Šentrupert - ecclesia sancti Rudberti in Creylav but the court is never explicitly mentioned in medieval documents. Bare witness of courts early origin is ministerial of Aquilea named by the court, Majnhard (purchrauiis Megnardo de Crilog) who is mentioned in 1163 in certain document issued on Škrljevo by patriarch Ulrik.
Family of Škrljevo knights managed the estate until 1541 when it became the property of Auerspergs and in 1585 Janez Baltazar Wernegk is mentioned in probate inventory. In 1613 Janez Ruess noble Ruessenstein began to govern the court and sold it the same year to Martinu Kheysellu from Višnja gora. It remained in the property of the family until 1705 when Franc Anton baron Langenmantl has leased the court and became its owner two years later. In 1766 Marija Terzija Langenmantl née Flöding bought the estate at the auction and in 1799 her daughter Karolina baroness Pittoni née Langenmantl sold the estate to Jakob Schuller. In 19th century owners of Škrljevo were along with Schuller family also Vasič family between 1834 and 1855 and in 1885 it was gained by Marija Podobnik on forced auction. It remained in Podobnik family until the beginning of WW II. In 1942 Salesians moved in and stayed there until 1950. Nationalized building was later occupied by customers and nowadays its empty. Bare witness of its former glory is walled, though totally neglected garden and remnants of a park with old yew and lime trees and in its front. Building is an important monument in social possession.
Court which in Renaissance grew into a truly fortified mansion was in its original form typical medieval court built as a tower on rectangular ground plan. It is still preserved in the nucleus of the present building. With its one and a half meters thick walls it is two storeys high but its older architectural elements are hidden beneath rough casting. That is the reason that the time of its origin is hard to determine but its ground plan shows time of creation in early-Gothic era, 13th or maybe 14th century. Supposedly some of old furniture is still inside present day mansion but the rooms are mostly neglected and covered with garbage. Local residents assure that the mansion is in the last few decades total opposite of what it was at the time of Salisians. It doesn't make sense to point out that there are no traces of former castle chapel.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v osrednji Sloveniji - III. Dolenjska (Porečje Temenice in Mirne), Viharnik, Ljubljana, 2002, ISBN 961-6057-34-0
Contact details:
/
Web links:
Škrljevo (turisticnaagencija.com)
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 45° 58.677' E 15° 04.487'

back

Škrljevo court from east
View from south
Southern facade
In the joined round Renaissance tower a walled in keyshaped shooting slit can be found
Rectangular entrance tower on southeast side
Semicircular sandstone portal with beveled edges and a groove for drawbridge which now leads only to a castle garden (se Valvasor's depiction)
Northern facade
Preserved Gothic window embedded into the original rectangular court design
Northern Renaissance tower with shooting slits
This shooting loop was walled in due to its nonfunctionality, too
Eastern portal on west side was put in place in 19th century
Eastern entrance hall on the west side of the court
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Photo credits: Viktorija Rozman Bitenc
Škrljevo on copper engraving in Valvasor's Topographia, 1679


back