Rogatec (Gornji Rogatec castle)
Rohitsch

12th century

Rogatec castle was one of the principal Krka's feudal estates in Savinja march. The estate is mentioned already in 1130 as Roas. First liegemen were margraves of Traungau followed by provincial prince's ministerials from Slovenske Konjice in 1192. Also the first direct mentioning of the castle dates to this year when the castle is referred to as Purch ze Rohacz. Bertold's and Stefan's origins - Perhtoldus et Stephanus de Rohas are with the lords of Konjice and they are mentioned as witnesses in a document dating to 1197 and they took their name by the castle. Lineage of Rogatec kept the castle until the end of 13th century. It's last owner was Henrik of Rogatec and was followed by related Lichtensteiners who sold the fortress to freelord Ulrik of Žovnek in 1301 for 700 marks in silver. Rogatec was at the time a center of large feudal estate and knights of Rogatec were also owners of Štatenberk and Forhtenek castles. In 1304 the estate was also formally leased to lords of Žovnek by bishops of Krka. When counts of Celje died out the estate was taken over by provincial prince and he then started to rent the castle to his stewards. Castle has lost its importance but its name styed written in knight epic poetry of high Middle Ages; Wolfram von Eschenbach mentiones the castle in his famous Parzival (
»Von Cilli kam ich hingeritten.
Drei Wochen hatt ich dort gestritten,
Da schien es mir genug getan.
Zunächst von Rohas ritt ich dann
In die weite Stadt Gandein...
«
- »From Cilli I rode beyond the Rohas,
where I fought much on three Mondays....«).
In 1475 steward on the castle is Viljem of Turjak and then between 1486 and 1503 Hans of Rogatec (Rohitscher). At the time, in 1487, canonical visitator was on the castle whose secretary Santonino briefly described the castle. Hans of Rogatec who was steward on the castle from the beginning later leased the castle and after him his brother in law Ahac of Lindek inherited the castle as leased property. Ahac was followed by his daughter Kristina, wife of Krištof Schrott jr. and she evaluated the estate in 1542. Kristina was followed by Ahac's granddaughter Zofija, wife of Rupert Welzer from Spiegelfeld. At the time of her lease in 1574 the castle has burned down. Many reports about the fire are preserved which say that the castle began to burn at the kitchen's chimney and then it spread to roofs and the fault was of steward Žiga Hueber. In only two hours everything exept the wine cellar and two small rooms on the ground floor was burned down. The reason for fire spreading so quickly was if the fact that most of the castle was wooden. Zofija Welzer soon began with the reconstruction works to provide a residence for herself and her children and also because the castle was near the border and the subjects were hiding in the castle at the time of enemy attacks. The castle was reconstructed in great measure and was still owned by Zofija in 1586 and in 1593 and 1607 its owner was Ehrenreich Welzer. Later owners were in 1681 Seifried prince nobe of Eggenberg, in 1730 Marija Šarlota princess of Eggenberg, then Eleonora and Marija Terezija countess noble Leslie, née noble of Eggenberg, in 1770 Anton count noble Leslie, August 30th 1805 Anton count Lamberg and Anton count Attems, after April 11th 1805 only Attems family. Attems family abolished the castle and left it to decay. On lithography from old Kaiser's suite the castle already doesn't have roof and in 1860 only some walls were standing. Nowadays all we can see are humble remains.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - Med Kozjanskim in porečjem Save", Viharnik, Ljubljana, 1993, ISBN 961-6057-00-6
Ivan Stopar: Rogatec / 66. zvezek zbirke vodnikov Kulturni in naravni spomeniki Slovenije, Zavod za spomeniško varstvo Slovenije, Ljubljana, 1976, ISBN /
Contact details:
ZAVOD ZA KULTURO, TURIZEM IN RAZVOJ ROGATEC
PTUJSKA CESTA 23, 3252 ROGATEC, Slovenia
+386 (0)3 810 72 86
tic.rogatec@siol.net
www.rogatec.net
Web links:
Rogatec castle (rogatec.net)
Shows and entertainment:
Za seznam prireditev glej stran www.rogatec.net.
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 13.848' E 15° 42.049'

back

Of once imposing castle only two walls are visible which are still resisting gravity; view from south-west
Northwestern corner of the ruins is kept together by a stiched edge of larger stone blocks
At the top of ruins; view towards nortwestern corner
Vie of Romanesque slit from outer south side
Romanesque slit from inside
Other Romanesque slit from inside
This masoned, vaulted room can be found on eastern part of ruins
View of inside of the room
View of far eastern part of the ruins where the vaulted room is located
Cleared terain enables us to see Rogatec
Rogatec market with Rogatec castle, Strmol left in the front; lithography from around 1830
Rogatec; aquarelle of market's judicial area by unknown painter from 1872 with the castle and Strmol manor (private property)
Steel engraving of Rogatec with Strmol manor in front by Pobud; from Schmidl's book »Das Herzogthum Steiermark«, 1839
Rogatec market with homonymous castle in the back; copper engraving from Vischer's Topographia, around 1681


back