Pogled (court, manor)
Pogled

17th century

First indirect mentioning of Pogled is from 1524 when Lienhard noble Harrach, commandant in Ptuj sold office Pogled near Zbelovo with all its belongings to Ahac Schrott from Kindberg, steward of Vitanje castle. Also in the same year a direct mentioning is made when Pogled is mentioned as a court (Der hof poglet, dem Schroten gehörig soll auch einen Purkhfridt haben). In 1540 A.Schrott rented the court and estate from Jurij of Liechensten. Schrott family owned the estate until 1590 and are followed by Ulrik noble Dietrichstein, in 1610 Tomaž Zipnigk, the first tollman in Croatia and Slavonija and after him Maks noble Plöschen. He built a new manor in 1617 and gained noble predicate von Pogledt. He was then succeeded in 1630 by Matija Quallandro and Krištof baron noble Reising and in 1679 Johan J. Conti de Camissano, member of family who also owned manors Gojko (Hebenstreit) and Golič and later also gained Hempoš and Lindek. In 1730 baron Janez Jožef Conti, son of Janez Jakob and his wife Suzana, is mentioned as the owner of Pogled. When he died in 1731 his widow became the owner. One of the daughters, Marija Karolina then married to Kamil Berlendis, supervisor of Ravno polje manor. Their son Lovrenc Jožef Kamilo Jernej Berlendis dominioned on Pogled until his death in 1811. He was followed by his nephew Anton Kamilo count Thurn - Valsassina in 1817 who sold the building to count Vincenc Gaisruck, owner of Novo Celje. Next owners were Maksimiljan count Thurn between 1826 and 1828, Karl Schmelzer between 1828 and 1829 and then family Possek who remained the ownership of the manor until the end of the last war.

Most of the internal rooms in the manor are remodelled. Barrel vault in a ground floor of northern part of south-west wing, where once a kitchen was located, is original and also groin vaults in the ground floor of north-western; this is actually one big place which was used as a cellar. Newer but yet still Baroque chapel in ground floor of western tower, dedicated to Mary's visitation, is destroyed but still preserved, but only as a room, is original chapel which was located in a floor of north-western wing and was accessible from the outside from beginning. It is now used as a room but it is artisticaly the most formed part of the building. Chapel is groin vaulted and the vault is covered with ornamental stucco with tendrils. In lunettes under the hats on the west side above the entrance a coat-of-arms with two eagles is located, on the east side empty shield, on the north side some churchman and a bearded man on the south. Stucco dates after 1730 and is similar to stucco in a great hall of Jelše manor. Maybe it was made by master Antonio Quadrio. Traces of stucco can also be found on outer wall above the entrance to the chapel.

The name of the manor suggest that already in the middle ages a fortified post was located here which protected a road from Konjice along Dravinja river. Nowadays appartements are in the manor. Descendants of Posek family are supposedly trying to get the manor back..

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - Med Prekmurjem in porečjem Dravinje", Založba Park, Ljubljana, 1991, ISBN /
Contact details:
/
Web links:
/
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 18.238' E 15° 30.488'

back

View of Pogled from the hill in Mlače settlement
Front of the manor (south-eastern facade), which is built on almost square ground plan; it is composed of four big wings of unrqual size which surround prolongated courtyard
A simple semicircular portal leads into the inside
Building is on three corners fortified with slim turrets, which are only around 5 meters in diameter and are the same height as wings (view of a southern tower)
Manor was reconstructed many times in its history which is also evident from this segment on south-eastern facade
Cordon stone is visible only on eastern tower
Buttress is visible at north-eastern wing
View of south-western facade; view from far is distracted by corn field
View of a manor from north
View of a part of south-western facade
View of south-western facade of a manor from the garden
Defence walls of castle garden
Residential window on the floor
Window in the ground floor
Portal into the kitchen from the hall
One of the rare original places in the manor is this kitchen which is located in the nort part of south-western wing
Hall, connecting garden with courtyard in south-western wing
Rustically divided stone courtyard portal, in triangular fields decorated with characteristic leaves
North-western wing; arcades with strongly downtrodden arches lean on constructed, massive pillars in groundfloor, floor and semi-storey
View of courtyard facade of south-western wing
Two-light window supposedly marked with year 1617 which is the year of building construction
Vaulted corridors are prolonged for a length of one arch to north-eastern wing
South-eastern junction wing, which is half of a storey lower than the others; it seems that the residents arranged appartements even here
View of internal facade of north-eastern wing
View in the floor which has groove-like decorated upper part of the frame
Chapel located near Dravinja, depicted in Kaiser's suite
Last owners of the manor, Possek Franc and his wife Pavlina (picture taken from some calendar)
Pogled manor, secondarily colored lithography from Old Kaiser's suite, around 1830, Graphic museum Rogaška Slatina


back