Plevna (manor)
Pliuna

19th century

Small village Plevna was once liable to provincial law court of Gotovlje and the meierhof of this place was liable to estate Spodnji Lanovž at Celje. Still in 1809 a wooden house was standing here which was owned by Žuža family which still resides in Žalec. In 1840 the estate went to the possession of Jožef Ludvik Hausmann, the owner of Novo Celje manor, who annexed the estate in Plevna to the estate Novo Celje. Hausmann also arranged an exemplary plantation of mulberry trees near the manor. The building later became the property of Italian citizen Prosoglio. He continued the activity, started by previous owner, of silkworm breeding, which was from the start controlled by Italians. This was the biggest silk mill at the time in Styria but due to big expenses did not last long. Prosoglia was followed by retired Austrian officers Strohhuber and Stiglic, they were succeeded by count (D)Bobrovsky in 1876 and he sold Plevna in 1890 to baron von Beck, former Austrian prime minister, As an interesting fact I should mention that baron von Beck is burried together with his family (SEPVLCRVM FAMILIAE LOII VM de BECK) in a tomb nearby to the east ot the church of St.Jederta. The church is located on prominent hill with the same name (363m) to the north from the manor (from the hill it is possible to see the roof of the manor in the woods). The tomb was desecrated few years ago and is now reinforced with concrete.
After World War I the manor went into the hands of possessors of noble Rajner and count Firmian and after World War II the manor became a part of general public property. Nowadays apartments are in the manor.

It is a two-storey building, 7x4 axial with rustic formed edges. Fron facade is decorated with lightly stepped our, fiveaxial on edges rustically linked risalit, which is in the ground floor emphasized with four leaned pillars and on the top with the low heraldically decorated triangular forehead. The attic id outconstructed mansard. A part of places in the ground floor is still groin vaulted but the inside is very reconstructed and architecturally destituted. Some old windows on the outside are walled-in.
The manor was probably built by Hausmann in the first half on the 19th century in the classicistic style. After 1876 it was raised one storey by count (D)Bobrovsky and that storey is distinctly utilitarianly formed. Maybe it was him who planted a several hundred meters long avenue of pine trees, leading to the manor. A park with exotics is still preserved around the manor.
W. G. Dunder (with pseudonym Novostraschezky) in his panegyric to Novo Celje, published in Stiriens Eden monograph (1847), also mentions Plevna. He describes it as a building with vaulted sellar, various rooms related to husbandry hall with stuccoes in the floor and arched entrance shed.

Because the manor is slowly dilapidating and no words about renovation the residents are right to be worried. Sometimes it is possible to hear the walls cracking, the roof is sinking, wooden beams are bending and a lot of snow every year leaves traces.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - Spodnja Savinjska dolina", Založba Park, Ljubljana, 1992
Jordan, Božo: "VODNIK PO SAVINJSKI PLANINSKI POTI", str. 28
Contact details:
/
Web links:
/
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 16.586' E 15° 9.736'

back

Front of the Plevna manor, view from south
View from north by the electric mains
Roof of the manor which is sinking
Heraldicaly decorated triangular forehead
Entrance portal
Entrance hallway with staircase
Western wall
Northern wall
On the top of the part of northern wall, decorated with bell, cracks are visible
Eastern wall
High sequoia which is protected due to its age
Field located next to the tree avenue, south from the manor; some time ago it was meant as a dumping ground for communal garbage!; once a mulberry plantation was located on the other side of the tree avenue
Older photo of pine tree avenue, which leads from east towards the manor: nowadays the tree avenue is pretty impoverished; it is also said that this tree avenue was supposedly ordered to plant by Maria Therese who walked by here
North from the manor at the power lines we can find an old house from 1883 and belonging drying-frame; the house was severely damaged by winter this year and on the place of the drying-frame a residential house is standing today; photograph is from year 2002


back