Ojstrica (manor)
Osterwitz

16th century

In village Loke near Tabor at Vransko Maksimilijan noble Schrottenbach build a Meierhof in 1566 under Ojstrica castle and after 1592 he began to raise mansion Ojstrica (Osterwitz); construction was continued by his son Felix between 1614 and 1631. Schrottenbachs were also owners of the following estates: Gradič, Heckenberg, Lemberg, Podgrad and Prebold.
Two-wing two-storey building with two round towers on corners was robbed and burned in 1635 by revolting peasants but was soon renewed. In 1767 mansion Ojstrica was bought by Count Johann Gaisruck, in 1791 by Maks Robida, his heirs after him, then Johann Kircher until 1824, afterwards Jožef Omersi for two years and in 1826 it was bought by Matija Perko. When Anton Vincenc Perko was the owner the lightning struck into the mansion and demolished it. Nowadays there is no trace about the mansion. In 1864 the estate wa bought by baron Gustav Nepomuk Wittenbach and in 1908 by Puisi family. Meierhof of Ojsrtica wa preserved until 1964, it was long one and a half storey building with cross-arched corridors, a school was located here for sometime but then it was leveled. Maybe even some photo may exists somewhere. (Quoted from: Jakič, Ivan: "Vsi slovenski gradovi")

History of Ojstrica is very related with peasant revolts. In various sources we can find following remarks, regarding mostly Schrottenbach family:
1608 Landlord of Ojstrica sir Janez Sigmund Šratenbah was arguing with his subjects about hunting matters and reconciled with them on December 12th 1608
1610 Feliks Schrottenbach left his job as Colonel in Slavonian army and began his dominion on Heckenberg and Ojstrica. From his subjects he demanded not only 8-days of serfdom but every day, including Sundays. As a result he and his manager Martin Pilpach were sued at authorities by vicar of Vransko.
1611 On August 27th the regional authorities ruled in benefit of castle lord Schrottenbach. In 1611 the ruler overruled complaint og subject of Žovenk against fees for deceased, fees for receiving and tenth of their crop.
1628-1629 Feliks Schrottenbach was becoming more and more violent. Because of witchery and inciting the attack on the castle he cut an ear from Simon Prosilnik and chased him of the farm. Crippled Simon then turned to authorities. Following the complaint from subjects against landlord an emmperor's committee arrived in 1628. Next year a new committee followed because new complaints of violence against Feliks Schrottenbach and his manager Klek.
1630 In the archives of inner-austrian government complaints of Schrottenbach's subjects from Ojstrica are starting to pile up.
1631 Following the complaint a regional head of Styria had to interview crippled and chased-off subject Simon Prosilnik.
th and by the will of both sides a 7-member committee was assigned. A agreement has been made which was comprised of 17 items. In agreement it was noted that subjects only have to do as much serfdom as it was normal in the country. Agreement was ratified by inner-austrian government from Graz on April 14th. Feliks Schrottenbach appealed against the agreement on the same day. Also subjects at home did not recognize agreement.
1632 Edlinger's Communee of Teharje complains against Jurij Schrottenbach.
Subjects of Ojstrica made another complaint before March 10th and in May 1632. Them and Schrottenbach were asked to respect the agreement from a year before. Following the order from emperor on July 3rd Commissioners Gaisruck and Kosjak arrived to the mansion prior to July 17th. Only 28 subjects responded for talks. They raed them emperor's order, to be loyal subjects and translate it to slovene language. On August 20th Simon Prosilnik asked the emperor for his justice.

These are just a few fragments from the book "MI SMO TU" ("We are here") by Jože Koropec. We also find out that the revolting peasants also prepared and executed attacks on castles Ojstrica and the others, among them also Žovnek. I suggest that you take a closer look in the book if you wish to know more about the situation in Ojstrica and Slovenian Styria at the era.

Literature:
Kralj, Franc: "Žovnek in Žovneški", Kulturno zgodovinsko društvo Žovnek Braslovče, 2000
Jakič, Ivan: "Vsi slovenski gradovi", DZS, 1999, ISBN 86-341-2325-1
Koropec, Jože: "MI SMO TU: Veliki punt na Slovenskem v letu 1635", Založba Obzorja Maribor, 1985
Contact details:
/
Web links:
http://www.obcina-tabor.si/loke.htm (Municipality of Tabor - Loke)
http://tabor.netfirms.com/ (Municipality of Tabor on old postcards)
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 12.743' E 14° 59.590'

back

Georg Matthäus Vischer: Topographia ducatus Stiriae, 1681; Ruins of the castle are visible on the right and under hill a newly build mansion
J. Kuwasseg, colored litography from around 1845; Graz, Regional archive of Styria
Meierhof of Ojstrica mansion, 1964; Archive ZVNKD Celje
Schloss Osterwitz, St. Georgen am Tabor, Ojstricia - J.F.Kaiser Lithografirte Ansichten der Steiermark (1830)


back