Mengeš (Novi grad (New castle), Lower Mengeš c
Mannsburg

17th century

Former old Mengeš castle in late 16th or early 17th century became unapropriate for living and the estate was already very fragmented. Valvasor reports that Mengeš court, as a successor of former Mengeš estate, was built somehow between 1625 and 1630 by Leopold Raumschüssel on a land from which he earlier chased away several farmers but doesnt state more exact year. After Leopold's death the owner of the castle became Mrs.Maksimila, née baroness Pranckh who then married again this time to Lieutenant Colonel Cordon and for the third time with Franc Ignacij Seyfrid who became lord of the castle but in Valvasor's time castle's owner was already Anton baron Leuenberg - Löwenberg.
From the second half of 17th century on many owners changed on the mansion - Liechtenturns, Scarlichis, Auerspergs and others. Between 1837 and 1939 the mansion was a property of Stare family, followed by Lojze Kanc and between occupation Germans confiscated the whole estate. After the war the mansion was nationalized and in 1948 it was alloted to Državno posestvo Jablje-Mengeš-Križ (National estate Jablje-Mengeš-Križ). Nowadays appartments are in the building.

Both buildings (castle building and outbuilding) were completely reconstructed in 1840 by Mihael Stare, the first of Stare family; witnesses of this are initials M.S. and the year on preserved sandstone classicistic portal of the central castle building. Stare simplified and at the same time enlarged its ground plan by constructing in the space between both wings. 4x5 axial building was constructed, covered with unified pyramid-shaped roof. He enlarged rectangular windows in ground floor and first floor and equiped them with mortar frames and shutters, decorated ground floor with horizontal rustic belts and defined floor, divided from ground floor by profiled bed, with pilasters. In the hall of the floor to where a staircase with middle landing leads a coffered ceiling is preserved.
Explorer of history of Mengeš Stane Stražar kept in his monography an information that Stare rebuild one place in the mansion into the chapel which was destroyed after the war. A supposed witness to that was a plaque with inscription DEO OMNIPOTENTI and the year 1843 but it was obviously only a redecoration of a previously existing sacral place.
Stare's efforts were not limited only on redecoration of castle buildings. Pedestals at the staircase in front of entrance into the mansion was equiped with statues of four seasons of the year which were made in Prašnikar's cement factory in Kamnik and also arranged two tree avenues nearby. After tha last war all statues have disappeared and also mansion plantations and the castle building went through several reconstructions.
(quoted, Stopar)

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v osrednji Sloveniji - I. Gorenjska (Območje Kamnika in Kamniške Bistrice)", Viharnik, Ljubljana, 1997, ISBN 961-6057-12-X
Contact details:
/
Web links:
Castles of Domžale and Mengeš
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 10.033' E 14° 34.188'

back

Main castle building, Mengeš court (manor, mansion); view from south-western direction
View of eastern facade of the manor
View from south-eastern direction
Western outbuilding, modified into apartments
Between the mansion and adjacent building a castle well is preserved with carved initials MS and year 1842
Eastern entrance to the park which is located very close to the manor
Eastern part of the park; on the other side of the park one of two tree avenues is visible, planted by Mihael Stare
West part of the park
J. V. Valvasor, Lower manor in Mengeš (Trost); copper engraving depicts single-storeyed castle building, built on key-shaped ground plan in form of a big letter L and equiped with facades and aisles; inside of walled courtyard, where according to Valvasor a nicely arranged garden was located, is in the back a smaller, only 2x5 or 6 axial building which was obviously used as a residence


back