Mali grad na Ptuju (manor)
Kleine Burg

13th century

History of the manor is not completely clear. Some connect its existence to so called castrum minus which is mentioned from 1231 and is referred to in a document from 1300 as Wenichhaus. It is more likely that Mali grad (Small castle) was never a fortified castle building which is what both of upper names suggest. It is probably a continuity of not fortified immunity house which is in 1376 mentioned as free court of lords of Ptuj near Dominican monastery and where the designation »court« excludes any association with castle as a fortified feudal outpost.

Among former owners that are known before 1740 are counts noble Wildenstein, then until 1773 barons Moscon, followed by counts Attems'. In the second half of 19th century offices of Emperor's and kings district chief officer were in the manor. Nowadays apartments and a library are inside the manor.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - I. knjiga (Območje Maribora in Ptuja)", Partizanska knjiga in drugi, Ljubljana, 1990, ISBN /
Contact details:
Knjižnica Ivana Potrča Ptuj
Prešernova ulica 33
2250 Ptuj
Slovenia

tel: 02/771 48 01
fax: 02/779 12 01
email: cobissikpt@ptu.sik.si
Web links:
/
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 25.193' E 15° 51.971'

back

Building with ground plan formed as letter L of slightly irregular shape, dates - judging by visible, preserved ingredients - in its core to 16th century
Representative semicircular stone portal in rectangular frame with initials K.E. on forehead, leading to castle courtyard and it has Renaissance griffins in upper corners
Eastern wing
Building consists of ground floor and also outbuilding - piano nobile and mezannine on top of it; Renaissance rustic window frames are present in the ground floor
Original rectangular building to which a northern wing was added
Inner courtyard
In the hall and on the staircase of west wing, facing nearby Dominican monastery, we encounter typical Renaissance groin-crest vaults
Well located in the middle of courtyard
All facades are Baroque formed which particularly applies to rich window frames in lordship floor


back