Majšperk (castle)
Monsberg

13th century

First explicit mentioning of the castle is from year 1261 (in castro Mannesperch) when landowner Hartwik and his female relatives are mentioned. Mentioning from 1256 (castrum Mannesperch) probably refers to the castle with the same name in Carniola or Carinthia. Some sources even state the year of the first mentioning as early as 1168! Architectural characteristics undoubtly date formation of the castle in the 13th century. After Hartwik his son Hartnid (castellan in Ljutomer in 1328) is mentioned and after him Valter is mentioned, maybe Hartnid's grandson. Family died out with Peter around 1410 and the dominion, which was free land was inherited by Stickelbergers from Austria. Leutold Stickelberger immediately left it to his nephew Hartl Hollenegger and in 1478 Hartmann H. (geslos Mansperg) gets the dominion to feud. Paolo Santonino, companion and secretary of bishop of Caorli, envoy of patriarch of Aquilea, who has stayed on the castle in 1487 wrote in his journal: "Majšperk castle...has a double well fortified defence walls, surrounded by front fortifications, moat and an embankment." When Hartnam died, his widow Amelija inherited Majšperk and left it to her relatives Lambergs.
The estate began to fragment in 16th century. When in 1570 Jošt-Jobst of Lamberg died his heritage was taken over by his three sons. As was witnessed by a year on portal, still preserved in 1885, the castle was reconstructed in 1589. In 1618 Majšperk was assumed by Adam Graf from Šešče. It was still a property of Graf family until a little before 1662 when country forfeited the castle due to tax arrears and in 1695(?) when it burned down. By marriage of Ana Julijana Graf in 1710 teh castle became the property of Moscon family who held the property until 1801. That year the tenant of Ravno Polje dominion Franc Blagotinšek,later ennobled von Kaiserfeld, bought the castle and is succedeed by Karl noble Klar in 1819, in 1820 Franc noble Mandelstein, in 1837 Franc Blauensteiner and in 1859 Alojz Sparovitz. In 1885 tha cstle was already severely forsaken and ruined at the end of 19th century.
Only humble remains of Renaissance roundel, of which a part of north wall if preserved, still witness a presence of a castle. Traces of surrounding wall and defence moat are still visible. Area of ruins is unarranged and difficult to wander through. Castle was once surrounded by a park in which two groups of herdsmen - musicians with resting animals were located, work of unknown sculpturer from 1730s.

Literature:
Stopar, Ivan, Dr.: "Grajske stavbe v vzhodni Sloveniji - I. knjiga (Območje Maribora in Ptuja)", Partizanska knjiga in drugi, Ljubljana, 1990, ISBN /
Kos, Dušan, Dr.: "Vitez in Grad", Založba ZRC, ZRC SAZU, 2005, ISBN 961-6500-82-1
http://www.slovenia.info/?_ctg_kraji=3441
Contact details:
/
Web links:
Majšperk
Majšperk (Halo d.o.o.)
Shows and entertainment:
/
GPS coordinates:
N 46° 21.041' E 15° 44.127'

back

Hill where ruins of Majšperk castle are located
View of roundel remains from north
Overgrown wall of roundel
View of roundel ruins from south direction
Opening in the wall
Traces of defence wall can be seen in some places on the hill-edge
Defence moat, encircling the hill on the west; not clearly recognizable from the photo
Lithography of Majšperk castle from Reichert's album Einst u. Jetzt, 1864
Majšperk castle, G. M. Vischer, Topographia ducatus Stiriae, Graz, 1681


back